Pages

About Me

My photo
Hello my name is Shelley Newman i am an artist based in London and i am currently studying a Foundation art degree. I have always been interested in art & design since i was little, my hobby is drawing Manga, a Japanese cartoon drawing style witch is very popular around the world. My artwork is based on graphic design where i use photoshop to manipulate my artwork, On this blog will be my personal artwork and also my work from my course, I hope you enjoy.

Wednesday 5 December 2012

Walter Greaves

Walter Greaves born on 4 July 1846  and died on 28 November 1930 and was a British painter, etcher and topographical drafts man.

This is another painting of Battersea Bridge I found interesting at the Tate Britain; seeing the old bridge is interesting to me because I live so close to it and see it almost every day. I never knew there was another bridge there before the present one you see today, so seeing a painting of the old bridge and Battersea in the background is impressive to view.

Greaves used oil on canvas and used very dirt like colours, there are no vibrant colours witch makes me think that Battersea at the time was a very gloomy place to live and visit.  Old Battersea Bridge was demolished in 1881and replaced with the present bridge. Before the alterations Greaves recalled the danger to shipping and the difficulty of steering through the arches unless the ‘set of the tide was known’.  The style of the painting is very photo like as if he had just taken a photograph of the scene. 

No comments:

Post a Comment