Pages

About Me

My photo
Hello my name is Shelley Newman i am an artist based in London and i am currently studying a Foundation art degree. I have always been interested in art & design since i was little, my hobby is drawing Manga, a Japanese cartoon drawing style witch is very popular around the world. My artwork is based on graphic design where i use photoshop to manipulate my artwork, On this blog will be my personal artwork and also my work from my course, I hope you enjoy.

Friday 19 October 2012

Thomas Brock


Thomas Brock was born in Worcester, attended the School of Design in Worcester and then undertook an apprenticeship in modelling at the Worcester Royal Porcelain Works. In 1866 he became a pupil of the sculptor John Henry Foley. He married in 1869, and had 8 children. After Foley's death in 1874, Brock completed some of his commissions.

He first became famous when he was asked to complete the statue of Prince Albert for the Albert Memorial. In 1901 Brock was awarded the colossal equestrian statue of Edward the Black Prince, set up in Leeds City Square, and was also given perhaps his most significant commission, the vast multi-figure Imperial Memorial to Queen Victoria in front of Buckingham Palace. According to legend, at the unveiling in May 1911, George V was so moved by the excellence of the memorial that he called for a sword and knighted Brock on the spot.




I really liked this sculpture of Eve by Thomas Brock because of the way she is posing, she almost looks sad or lonely. With one arm up by her neck this could also mean she is missing someone and she is waiting for them, I also like the structure of the body with the light bouncing off the curves of her body and then the dark shadows creating a sharp contrast between the two.
Her eyes look like they could be open or closed because of the way the shadows form around the outer eye and the light hitting the middle.


This is another version of the  Eve sculpture by Thomas Brock created after 1898, it is made of Bronze in comparison to the Plaster case one above seen in the V&A museum. The bronze is made from dark green and mid green patination.
The bronze gives the sculpture a shiny effect to it and also gives me the impression of a darker side to 'Eve' in comparison to the white and light sculpture.



















No comments:

Post a Comment