Pages

About Me

My photo
Hello my name is Shelley Newman i am an artist based in London and i am currently studying a Foundation art degree. I have always been interested in art & design since i was little, my hobby is drawing Manga, a Japanese cartoon drawing style witch is very popular around the world. My artwork is based on graphic design where i use photoshop to manipulate my artwork, On this blog will be my personal artwork and also my work from my course, I hope you enjoy.

Thursday 20 September 2012

Life Drawing day 2 (The Nude)

Our model had not arrived yet so our teacher turned on some music and told us to make marks according to how the music made up feel or move. So this is a painting to a piece of music that was upbeat and made me feel happy so I used colours to express the happiness I felt why listening to it.
At one point in the music there was a change of tempo and the music got faster and louder so I used a bolder larger paintbrush and used ink on top of the oil pastels, the oil pastels made the pink separate from the colours so it gave a negative effect compared to the light white paper.







The music playing when I painted this was slow and made me feel sad so I used blue to signify the sadness I felt. I used black ink with a large brush and painted another student who was in front of me at the time.














This piece was created while listening to upbeat music, I let my paintbrush move to the beat of the music creating these swirling lines. I first used red and blue marker pens creating a thin line background and then moved onto charcoal to create a more bold line.






When our model arrived we started off by drawing her moving so our drawings had to be quick to be able to draw her before she moved again; It was difficult because I like to get detail in but with this kind of drawing/ technique of drawing life models it was hard because she kept moving. I used charcoal because you can draw quick and loosen up rather then when you use pen or pencil you tend to tighten up and you cant draw as fast as you can with charcoal.


I used black ink for this drawing because we had to paint with our arms stretched out so you couldn't draw as much detail into it.
so I chose ink because it flows well on paper and you are not tempted to try and do much detail into it because that's not the type and style of drawing i wanted to archive.

The model was moving around to the sounds of the music so I tried to recreate this movement in my drawing, because she was moving around too much it was hard because every time I started to draw her she would move again so I would have to change my drawing according to her new pose, so this was a challenge for me. I also tested out what material was best to use for this drawing and it seems charcoal is best because you can get more of the movement in then using oil pastels witch restrict you.

We was given a five minuet pose for this drawing so I decided to use oil pastels, I started by getting in all the light parts of her body and the use a darker pastel to create the tones and shadows of her body.
I only had enough time to get most of the body in but given a longer time and it would have been completed but for a five minute drawing i think it came out quite well.






This was an activity where the drawing had to come across as quiet, so I used contour pastels so the marks i used would be soft, giving the appearance of  silence, softness, calm and quiet.








For this unlike the other drawings we had 30 minuets to do this witch gave me time to get detail in, I used oil pastels because they blend well and you can get nice tones with them and shading. even with this time I still didn't manage to get the head in, because I like to leave it to last so I can get in the main body structure first. In my opinion leaving the head and face till last is good in life drawing even if you don't even up putting it in, because when in a life drawing class and you have someone there modelling nude for you, you want to concentrate on the figure rather then the face that you can see everyday normally.

No comments:

Post a Comment