Pages

About Me

My photo
Hello my name is Shelley Newman i am an artist based in London and i am currently studying a Foundation art degree. I have always been interested in art & design since i was little, my hobby is drawing Manga, a Japanese cartoon drawing style witch is very popular around the world. My artwork is based on graphic design where i use photoshop to manipulate my artwork, On this blog will be my personal artwork and also my work from my course, I hope you enjoy.

Tuesday 6 November 2012

Inked Gallery Visit


When i went to visit Inked Gallery in Brighton I got inspired by Carne Griffiths portraits made by using an unusual technique, Tea and Ink. The gallery itself is a small little shop where they sell originals and prints of his work so it was interesting to see the originals by the artist himself. They were warm and welcoming when we entered and one thing I found unusual was that when you walked in there was a glass section in the floor, where you can see where they make new art and prints of other artists work for sale.

I really like his work, I find it fascinating the way the ink and tea drips down the page and through the face and features. These pieces of his work below are called his 'Fragments' because some of his works featured in the exhibition are small 'fragment' like sections of faces, where he has just focused on one aspect of the face or body usually the eyes, lips or nose.

His fragments are so detailed even though the style in witch he painted them was messy and quick, because ink and tea are very runny materials to work with so that's where the dripping in the fragments comes from weather they were first intentional or not or if they are now they make the paints more interesting.
I like how he makes one focus point in most of his fragments, in this one to the left called 'Chaos' the main focus point is the eye, and from then on around it is lines, colours and tones witch make up the "chaos" around the eye, to me this symbolizes the chaos someone is seeing through their eye.
His portraits are usually of women either on the head, body or section of the face. He uses sharp lines for the small detailed parts and then uses a bolder stroke to get the more colourful side and where most of the shading is, also he uses the tea to shade in parts of the face. The tea gives an 'old' feeling to the painting, but his style in witch he paints is very modern.




















No comments:

Post a Comment