Pages

About Me

My photo
Hello my name is Shelley Newman i am an artist based in London and i am currently studying a Foundation art degree. I have always been interested in art & design since i was little, my hobby is drawing Manga, a Japanese cartoon drawing style witch is very popular around the world. My artwork is based on graphic design where i use photoshop to manipulate my artwork, On this blog will be my personal artwork and also my work from my course, I hope you enjoy.

Thursday 6 December 2012

Alfred Sisley


Alfred Sisley born on 30th October 1839 and died in 1899 was a French impressionist landscape artist who spent most of his life in France but retained a British citizenship. He was consistent in his impressionist to landscape paintings, He never went down the rout of figure painting as much unlike Pissarro, and never found that impressionism did not fulfill his artistic needs. 
When i visited the National Gallery in central London I saw some of his works of the River Thames, and was instantly interested in him. 
Sisley visited London in the summer of 1874. While he painted several canvases near Hampton Court, this river scene is the only one he executed in the heart of the city. I found this interesting to view in the gallery because of the way it is painted, when you view the actual painting in real life you can see his every brush stroke he made. The painting is mainly blue and blurry apart from the section on the far right, maybe because it was closest to him and wanted to give that section the most detail and the far away objects and buildings slightly more blurry and less detail to give the painting depth and perspective for the viewer. 
You can visit the artwork at The National Gallery or visit this webpage where you can take a virtual tour if you cant get to the museum.  http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/visiting/virtualtour/#/room-43/ 



No comments:

Post a Comment